Followers

Sunday, October 18, 2009

Slime Flu

Well- we have had quite possibly the craziest few days. On Thursday, I had to pick Ben up from school because he had a temp off 99.6, that night he seemed OK, played with Kevin and Gabe downstairs and went to bed at a regular time. Friday morning, he woke up with 103 temp, which went up but never below 103 even with Motrin. Honestly, I have never seen him in such bad shape. This picture is 24 hours after that time with 100% improvement(I did not feel right about taking his picture at his worst, although now looking back I kind of wish I had to show you what the "Slime flu" looks like) After discussing his case with the doctor, they agreed I needed to bring him in. By the time his 3:50 appointment came around he had gone from bad to worse. It is true what everyone is saying. It really gets bad quickly. He had to be carried into his appointment, his eyes were glassy and bloodshot, his cheeks were red and his temp was now past 104. My heart ached for Ben and as his mother, it was upsetting to see him. The conclusion at the doctor. He tested positive for Influenza A, but they kept calling it H1N1 when I asked why, they said, they have stopped sending in for confirmation and are assuming all cases of Influenza A are H1N1 because 90% are. Ben in his horrid state, looked at the doctor and said" OH NO I HAVE THE SLIME FLU DON'T I?" Well, he is on his second day of Tamiflu and doing much better. He is now complaining of a stomache, which the Tamiflu can cause. I hope the rest of our family escapes it. The doctor did say, unless we are symptomatic, we should go about our daily lives. we chose this weekend to lay low. It was actually nice, we completed a ton of projects, watched the Panthers play on the computer. I actually finished the photo wall in the basement(you have to do something in an unfinished basement to cover the plastic!) Ben had to miss his cub scout camp out, I was unable to go to Chicago with friends, but we are just happy that Ben seems to be on the mend. And- we had a great weekend together! depsite Ben being sick!














1 comment:

  1. I'm glad Ben is doing better! Dom was out for four days last week, but because his temp never went above 102 and he never acted acutely sick, I didn't take him in. I would have liked to know what type of flu he'd have tested positive for, however. Hope he's back in toptop shape soon!

    ReplyDelete